Hello, world! So as you may have already guessed from the title, this blog will be devoted to showing passport chops and immigration paraphernalia. Not much to say or show, is there? Well, you may be surprised. While I will try my best to post my personal passport chops and passport chops only, I will from time to time come up with posts on things that may interest those others out there to read my blog. I really am not writing this for anyone but myself as who would be so interested in immigration law, passport stamps, and visas as I am?

I'm pretty sure that most will not find this blog very interesting, but I do hope that there is a readership out there as enthusiastic as I am about immigration, passports, and visas.

Happy viewing!

domingo, 20 de marzo de 2011

A Second Time in Cambodia

It sure has been quite some time since I last posted an entry in this blog! I just read through the last one I made and noticed that it was posted a few days shy of a year ago! Well, anyway, I'll pick up from where I left off. The last time I posted an entry, I showed my Cambodian visa issued in Hong Kong and mentioned that I would be going on a second trip to Cambodia in October 2010. Well, here is the visa issued in Manila for that trip.


Unlike the one issued in five minutes in Hong Kong, this one took two or three days to process. I do not know why there is such a big difference in the time it takes to process visas, but I have a feeling that it is because the Filipino way of doing things is a long process that involves lots of paperwork and waiting for those "special people" who would sign the paperwork. I suppose the Cambodian embassy here has adopted this heavily red-taped system and so that is why I had to visit the embassy in Makati twice.

The requirements for a visa, however, are not too many. There is no website for the embassy in Manila where the requirements are listed, but I think I called in and remember that all I needed was the application form and one (or two?) passport pictures and, of course, the USD20 fee (which can only be paid in US Dollars and not in Philippine Pesos). There was no need to present an onward ticket or anything like that. What I also found interesting was the fact that they did not charge more than the official rate for a visa. Unlike in Hong Kong where they collect HKD200 (which is about USD25), here they collect exactly USD20. Perhaps that's the trade-off for the slower service they offer in Manila?

The embassy is located in an old building whose architecture suggests that it was built in the 1960s or 1970s. If my memory serves me right, it was a pyramid-shaped building made of concrete mixed in with shells or pebbles. I noticed this type of concrete-shell-pebble mix from old buildings built during the Marcos era. Although I do not know what it is called, I gather it was popular in its day as many contemporary buildings also had this type of finishing. Faura Hall and the ISO buildings on the Ateneo de Manila Loyola Heights campus are examples.

A funny thing that happened when I came in the first time was that the guard at the entrance (where you have to sign in a logbook) asked me if I was Cambodian.... do I look like a typical Cambodian? Not to seem condescending, but frankly speaking, I really do not think so.

The chops for this trip to Cambodia can be seen on the opposite page, along with the chops from other places I visited on the same trip, Thailand and Malaysia. The Thai stamps are unspectacular, heavy, and unclear. Perhaps this is because many travelers are processed in Bangkok and so the rubber on the stamps are easily worn. However, I believe that the Singapore airport processes many more passengers than the Bangkok airport, but the chops applied there are often very clear (at least on my passports). Maybe the Thai immigration authority uses stamps with lower quality rubber, or maybe they replace the stamps less often than their Singaporean counterpart?

Thai visas are not required for US citizens for a stay of up to thirty days, so it means that I would normally not be able to apply for a visa unless I planned a long-term stay in Thailand (and could prove it with confirmed tickets). However, when I visited Penang, Malaysia, in November of 2009, there were signs everywhere that said long-term visas to Thailand were being issued free and all that you would need to pay was the agent's fee of five ringgit (less that USD2) and you would have a visa in two-three days. Apparently, this was a move made by the Thai government to boost the tourism industry, which at the time was slowing down thanks to the political turmoil in the country.

Note that the seal of the Thai Consulate at Penang is also heavy and quite unclear. Perhaps it is because there were so many applications for the free visas?

The visa fee at the time was THB 1900 (about USD 55+), but this was waived for a period of time until March 2010 or so. Practically speaking, most Western passport holders visiting Thailand would not be greatly affected by this new scheme as 30-day stay permits are issued at airports and 15-day permits at land crossings. However, the Chinese, who make up a sizable portion of the Thai tourism industry, may be enticed by the free visa and may have taken that into consideration when deciding on where to go for vacation (I gather that Chinese passport holders need visas for almost everywhere; see here). For more information on the free Thailand visas, you may check this link, although there is no use anymore as the offer for the free visas has expired.

The immigration endorsements at the bottom of the page are from Malaysia, from which I have many stamps from many different checkpoints, which I will discuss in a later post.

1 comentario:

  1. BUY COUNTERFEIT MONEY & DOCUMENTS OR GET A LOAN NOW AND INVEST!Whatsapp:..(+4915215387133)

    TOP QUALITY COUNTERFEIT MONEY AND QUALITY DOCUMENTS AVAILABLE FOR SALE. DOLLAR, POUNDS, EUROS AND OTHER CURRENCIES AVAILABLE WE HAVE PARTNERS IN ALMOST EVERY COUNTRY SO IF IN CASE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A FACE TO FACE BUSINESS THEN JUST CONTACT AND STATE YOUR LOCATION AND YOU SHALL HAVE YOUR BILLS
    With over a billion of our products circulating around the world. We offer only original high-quality counterfeit currency NOTES. We ship worldwide. We also print and sell Grade A banknotes of over 52 currencies in the world. Here is your chance to be a millionaire. Our money is perfectly reproduced,Indistinguishable to the eye and to the touch. We are sending in various sizes, packed and hidden. All our notes carries all the holograms and water marks and passes the light detector test. We will deliver the money directly to your home without the interference of customs . we have a Huge quantity ready in stock.

    4DOCUMENTS

    fake USA(United States) passports,
    fake Australian passports,
    fake Belgium passports,
    fake Brazilian(Brazil) passports,
    fake Canadian(Canada) passports,
    fake Finnish(Finland) passports,

    ETC..




    !!!!!!!! CONTACT FOR MORE DETAILS!!!!!!!!


    Email-: qualitybills-documents@hotmail.com
    Skype Name:Ranko322
    Wickr: Ranko322
    Whatsapp:..(+4915215387133)



    E-Mail US Your Questions and Comments.



    !!!SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY!!!

    ResponderEliminar